Timeless Tales From Marwar by Vijaydan Detha, translated by Vishes Kothari (Review)


Hey readers, welcome back to my blog! 
Today I'm going to review one of my best reads of this year, and its also a translated book. It is Timeless Tales From Marwar by Vijaydan Detha, translated from Rajasthani to English by Vishes Kothari.

‘Treasure trove of folktales’ that's how I can describe this book in just a few words. The cover totally sums up the culture of Rajasthan. It contains 17 stories from Batan ri Phulwari (Garden Of Tales) - a fourteen-volume collection written nearly fifty years ago in Rajasthani by Vijaydan Detha. This book is translated in English by Vishes Kothari. The cover is also aesthetically pleasing.

I'm surely in love with these beautiful tales because they get magical....and.....magical as you read through them. Filled with handsome rajkanwars, evil witches, exploitative thakkars, miserly seths, clever insects, benevolent snakes and more, it will clearly take you to a magical world... far away from reality. It will keep you enthralled till the end. The magic with which these oral tales are preserved in the written form is surely the reason why Vijaydan Detha earned the title ‘Shakespeare of Rajasthan’. I think I've used the word ‘magic’ very often here but what can I do it is the most suitable word which fits the definition of this book. 

Let's talk about the translator, many a times, the hard work of a translator, goes unnoticed. But the fact that you're enjoying a translated book is because the translator has done work to preserve the original book and this is why, translators deserve that attention.

If you like reading folktales then, go read this book because you're missing out a really good book.

I can't write a more bigger review than this otherwise, I'll give out spoilers. So, just grab this book and enjoy the magical reading experience! 

Amazon Link ~ 

Comments